Newbie PAM + Apache group question

Hi.  I'm hoping to be able to use groups here at work, either via apache or
NT for our intranet site.

Current situation:  We are using a "require valid-user" statement in the
base directory, which allows our folks to use their NT logons fine on our
intranet home page.  However, in the relatively near future, we'd like to
set up some groups for limiting access to restricted info.  I have tried:

* a "require group management" (I have set up groups and users for apache
while I was trying to figure this out.)  No go.
* Similarly, I set up a group under NT under the same name.  No luck there,
either.

In both of these cases, I get a login prompt, and even after five or six
times entering my userID and password, the same window just comes back at
me.

I've been through the documentation for mod_auth_pam and apache several
times now, and I'm stumped.  Does anyone know how groups are supposed to
work with this stuff?  Any idea what we might be doing wrong?

Any enlightenment here would be much appreciated... :)