Re: after upgrade to redhat 7.2, X don't start,console ownership problem

  Dumas Patrice wrote:

> I have just upgraded my redhat box from a 7.0 (with lots of 7.1 and 7.2 rpm) to
> 7.2. I start X from the console using startx. I did it without problem just one
> time. Now I can only start X as root. As a user, I get:
>
> Fatal server error:
> PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
>         Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
>
> I searched a bit on the web and I found my problem risen a lot of times, but I
> haven't found a solution. I also posted this question on other mailing lists
> (redhat-list and xfree86-list hosted by redhat) but I haven't have any solution
> yet.
>
> /dev/console is in mode 600 owned by root
> /var/run/console.lock is present in mode 600 owned by root
> /var/run/console contains a file with name the name of the user currently
> logged, owned by root with perms 600
>
> the /etc/security/console.perms, /etc/pam.d/xserver are correct, and there is
> nobody logged in when the user log in.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Pat

I had much the same problem (described in a posting to this list on 2001/Dec/31) except that I am
using Redhat-7.1, and that i succeeded zero times as non-root user using startx.

For me the solution was to create /var/lock/console/USERNAME.  I cannot find one single word of
documentation on the purpose of such a file anywhere in the universe !!

My system does NOT have any file called /var/run/console.lock nor does it have anything similar.
It does NOT have any directory called /var/run/console; but as mentioned it does have
/var/lock/console.

By the way, in the (Redhat) man-page for pam_console, the remark about "no other user is currently
logged in at the console" is a Red-Herring;  it is one of the few things I could understand in the
PAM documentation, but it is also just plain wrong.  Whether or not I first log in as root, makes
no difference with respect to my non-root username being able to acquire console-ownership in
starting X.

Eugene Reimer