Re: after upgrade to redhat 7.2, X don't start, console ownership problem

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 07:50:28PM +0100, Dumas Patrice wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just upgraded my redhat box from a 7.0 (with lots of 7.1 and 7.2 rpm) to
> 7.2. I start X from the console using startx. I did it without problem just one
> time. Now I can only start X as root. As a user, I get:
>
> Fatal server error:
> PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
>         Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
>
> I searched a bit on the web and I found my problem risen a lot of times, but I
> haven't found a solution. I also posted this question on other mailing lists
> (redhat-list and xfree86-list hosted by redhat) but I haven't have any solution
> yet.
>
> /dev/console is in mode 600 owned by root
> /var/run/console.lock is present in mode 600 owned by root
> /var/run/console contains a file with name the name of the user currently
> logged, owned by root with perms 600
>
> the /etc/security/console.perms, /etc/pam.d/xserver are correct, and there is
> nobody logged in when the user log in.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Pat

I am unclear as to when this failure occurs. You are not having a user
run startx. That will have permission problems. You want to change
/etc/inittab to have a default run level of 5 instead of 3 and I
believe all will be well. X will be started at boot and the user can
log in.

Or are you saying the system comes up with the gdm (or kde) login gui
and when the user logs in you get the error?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.