RE: Follow-up Re: su: user->root ok, user1->user2 ok, root->user NOK

we use unpackaged Linux-PAM-0.75 and haven't seen that particular
problem...here's what our /etc/pam.d/su looks like:

#%PAM-1.0
#[For version 1.0 syntax, the above header is optional]
#
# The PAM configuration file for the `su' service
#
auth     requisite                       pam_wheel.so debug
auth     sufficient                      pam_rootok.so
auth     [success=done auth_err=ignore]  pam_unix.so
auth     sufficient                      pam_krb5.so no_ccache
use_first_pass
auth     optional                        pam_warn.so
auth     required                        pam_deny.so

account  required                        pam_unix.so

session  required                        pam_unix.so

note the use of pam_rootok to prevent root from having to supply
a user's password ... also non-wheel members can't su to uid 0

-b