Re: VNC + PAM?

Hello Blake,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:10:56PM -0700, Blake Barnett wrote:
> We are looking at integrating VNC into our system.  We currently utilize
> PAM for our authentication wherever possible.  Does anyone know of a
> modified version of VNC or any other possibility of integrating VNC with
> PAM?  To "PAM-ify" VNC would require modifying both the clients and the
> server, this does not seem like a viable solution for us.

> Note that we store all our users in an LDAP directory (NDS) and if VNC
> were LDAP-enabled that may solve the problem as well...

> Currently VNC supports only a challenge/auth system which does not send
> the username & password.  A more complete description is on the VNC
> project page.

> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how we could pull this off?

I think it would be interesting if VNC were enabled with support for
SASL.  Unlike PAM, SASL is explicitly a network-oriented (client/server)
API, and supports other authentication mechanisms similar to VNC's
existing authentication scheme, where challenge-response is used to
avoid sending passwords across the network.  SASL also supports
plaintext/unix/pam authentication as an option, so SASLizing of VNC
would also solve that need, while still letting other people use, say,
Kerberos authentication.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer