Cannot login after password change

Hallo,

We have a NIS-Master running under HP-UX and a linux-client with RedHat 7.0
running PAM without shadow. After I was asked to change my password last
week by a HP-machine I later on could not log on to the linux-machine any
longer. Not with the new neither with the old password. After I changed it
back to the old one everything worked fine again. All our users have the
same problem. You can log in sucessfully until your asked to change your
password.
Even the output of "ypcat -k passwd" is the same on the NIS-master as on the
linux-client.
Some config-info:

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis # but is not used here...
group:      files nis
#/etc/pam.d/login
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session    optional	/lib/security/pam_console.so
/etc/passwd has
+:::::::
at the end

Has anybody an idea?