Re: Cannot Login After Installing PAM

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Ganesan Kanavathy wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
>        How do I check whether sshd is running on my box and how do I
> to change it to use ssh client to login. I am really new to Linux
> world.
>
> Regards,
> Ganesh

Use the ps command to get a listing of running programs. Read the man
page. On Linux I usually use ps aux, on Solaris ps -ef. If you've
installed ssh as an rpm, you can probably issue the command
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd status.

Secure shell is for *remote* login. You use an ssh client to access the
remote server. It works very similar to telnet, except everything is
encrypted.

-Arild