Re: module utility library [Was: Re: ... pam limits drops privileges]

>It seems that we should strongly consider introducing some sort of library
>of module support functions, that individual modules could use, instead of
>having to replicate them.  This would greatly ease module maintenance and
>would also assist development of new functionality (both of new modules
>and within existing modules).

FreeBSD has done a fair bit of work to eliminate wasted code. For
example there is code to parse the standard PAM options (try_first_pass,
for example) as well as user-defined options. Well worth integrating
into PAM, it would make my life easier too as I wouldn't have to
track both Linux-PAM and FreeBSD PAM for the Darwin port!

One thing, however, having written a lot of PAM modules for Darwin,
is that I've replicated the password-changing conversation dance
several times for different modules (NetInfo, AFP, NIS, etc). That's
one thing that should be put in a library, but is tricky because it
requires callbacks to authenticate a user as well as actually
changing their passwords, and different authentication systems handle
password changing policies differently.

cheers,

-- Luke

--