PAM 0.75 and gdm 2.2.4

I've been using PAM 0.75 since I installed Linux From Scratch on one of
my workstation, and recently tried to upgrade gdm (>=2.2.4.0) since it
has nested servers feature. However, PAM refuses to "setcred" for gdm
login. With some digging up the source codes what I found was that gdm
now separated authentification and open session w/ setcred in different
functions with some reasons related to setgid, etc.

I tried to make a simple program mimicking the structure of gdm w/ some
sample codes in the PAM sources:
The main point is the first routine containing authentification ends
with pam_end call. Now this program promtly failed at the second
function which tried to setcred after pam_start call. The error code was
6 (I think it is NO PERMISSION?)  I ran this program on a RH 7.1 which
use PAM 0.74, and it succeeded. I downgraded my PAM installation on the
LFS machine to 0.74, and the program works.

So my conclusion is that PAM 0.74 does some kind of memory preservation
or disk cache, but 0.75 doesn't. I post this problem in gdm bug list, it
seems the responder doesn't have much clue on the internal working of
PAM nor experience with 0.75.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem? If my assessment is
correct, many distros will encounter this problem when they want to
upgrade Gnome and PAM at the same time...

Regards.