Re: Using PAM for speaker identification

Hello Jean-Marc,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> I've got a speaker verification/identification system working and I'd like to
> use it for the login process. I've been told to write it as a PAM module, but
> there's something I'm not sure. Is it possible for a PAM module to also identify
> the username as well as the password. Ideally, the user should just boot the
> machine (it comes to gdm/kdm/...), say something (not typing anything) and be
> logged in. Is that possible with PAM?

Yes, this is possible.  Your module should set PAM_USER using the
pam_set_item() call before returning from pam_authenticate().

Some applications will attempt to prompt for the username before turning
control over to PAM.  In some cases this is unavoidable; in others, it's
something that should probably be fixed in the application.  gdm and kdm
should both be able to get the username from PAM, although in practice I
believe kdm doesn't currently do this.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer