Re: FreeBSD diffs for Linux-PAM

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:

> > > Bad change IMHO. All in /usr/lib clutters the lib dir. Most distribs /
> > > installs put separate things in seperate libs in /usr/lib. I personaly
> > > like that, some of you might not.

> > It is "FreeBSD Standard", and anything else would surprise FreeBSD admins.

> /lib/security is a defacto Solaris (is it ?) and Linux standard. Most
> programs expect them in /lib/security.

/Most/ programs should never be accessing PAM modules directly, as it's the
job of the PAM library to arbitrate access to the modules.

And FWIW, I don't think my criticism of putting modules in /usr/lib represents
OS evangelism so much as it represents evangelism of cross-platform
consistency and of freedom to type 'ls' in a directory without maxing out my
xterm's buffer. ;)  But the decision's been made, so it's one we should
definitely try to work with.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer