Re: telnet timing out problem in redhat 7.1

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:09:07AM +0000, Soren Aalto wrote:

> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:05:18AM -0700, Moo Kim wrote:
> > >  I've installed redhat 7.1 few weeks back on a PC running
> > >  Pentium 200 MHz, 128 MB.   The network is configured with
> > >  DHCP server on a secure intra-network within the company
> > >  as a development box.
> > >
> > >  I am having telnet session timing out problem when I telnet
> > >  into the box as root.   After about 10 minutes, the telnet
> > >  session hangs or not responds any more.   If I go to the
> > >  console window, and execute a ping command, then the telnet
> > >  session resumes.   I think I don't have this problem when I
> > >  telneting out from the box to remote hosts.
> > >
> > >  I tried make /etc/pam.d/other file to be generic as possible
> > >  but the problem (could be called a feature with the PAM default
> > >  configuration) persists.
> > >
> > >  Does anyone run into this problem in redhat 7.1 ?  Anyone
> > >  knows how I can disable (or work-around) the 10-min timeout
> > >  on telnet session ?   It is not clear to me whether this
> > >  problem is with PAM or XINETD.
> >
> > Does this happen only with telnet, or is it happening with other
> > connection-oriented services?
> >
> > For example, if you switch on the POP server, telnet to the port,
> > and sit there for ten minutes, does it time out as well?
>
> Start watching ARP packets and what is in the arp table.
> Start a session -- note what /sbin/arp -a tells you about
> the ethernet addresses of both sides of the connection.
>
> Then, once the connection dies, check the arp tables again
> on both boxes.
>
> It just sounds for all the world like two boxes have the
> same IP, and there's an ARP race condition that you win
> sometimes, you lose sometimes.
>
> --
> Soren Aalto <soren@pan.uzulu.ac.za>
> Internet guy, University of Zululand
> If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to
> show you how it's done. --Scott Adams

  Hi Soren,

  I tried your suggestion and arp -a command shows nothing on the
  linux box running redhat 7.1 after the telnet session is timed-out
  (or hung) after 10-min.    When I then issue a ping command from
  the linux box, the hung telnet session resumes and arp -a prints
  the output as telnet session is active.

  Thanks,

  Moo Kim    Moo.Kim@NCR.COM
  NCR Corporation