Re: telnet timing out problem in redhat 7.1

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:05:18AM -0700, Moo Kim wrote:
> >  I've installed redhat 7.1 few weeks back on a PC running
> >  Pentium 200 MHz, 128 MB.   The network is configured with
> >  DHCP server on a secure intra-network within the company
> >  as a development box.
> >
> >  I am having telnet session timing out problem when I telnet
> >  into the box as root.   After about 10 minutes, the telnet
> >  session hangs or not responds any more.   If I go to the
> >  console window, and execute a ping command, then the telnet
> >  session resumes.   I think I don't have this problem when I
> >  telneting out from the box to remote hosts.
> >
> >  I tried make /etc/pam.d/other file to be generic as possible
> >  but the problem (could be called a feature with the PAM default
> >  configuration) persists.
> >
> >  Does anyone run into this problem in redhat 7.1 ?  Anyone
> >  knows how I can disable (or work-around) the 10-min timeout
> >  on telnet session ?   It is not clear to me whether this
> >  problem is with PAM or XINETD.
>
> Does this happen only with telnet, or is it happening with other
> connection-oriented services?
>
> For example, if you switch on the POP server, telnet to the port,
> and sit there for ten minutes, does it time out as well?

Start watching ARP packets and what is in the arp table.
Start a session -- note what /sbin/arp -a tells you about
the ethernet addresses of both sides of the connection.

Then, once the connection dies, check the arp tables again
on both boxes.

It just sounds for all the world like two boxes have the
same IP, and there's an ARP race condition that you win
sometimes, you lose sometimes.

--
Soren Aalto <soren@pan.uzulu.ac.za>
Internet guy, University of Zululand