Re: FYI & question: Linux-PAM modules on Solaris

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:36:43PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> I'm not a libtool expert, but I'm told that it doesn't really handle
> library dependencies correctly.  (i.e., adding explicit dependencies
> in a library so that when you dynamically link with the library, other
> libraries which are needed are automatically pulled in).

Looking at the "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" book (ISBN:
1-57870-190-2), pages 96 and 97, I can see that libtool does support
inter-library dependencies, but there's no guarantee that it knows how
to support them *natively* on every platform (if native support is
lacking, either in libtool or the given platform, then libtool will
simulate the dependencies, but this seems to work only when building
executables, not DSOs). For example, the version of libtool described
in the book doesn't support the native HP-UX linker's support for
inter-library dependencies, instead libtool "remembers" the
dependencies and adds the necessary -l... arguments to the final link
command for an executable, an approach that clearly won't work for
DSOs.

So, it seems that libtool's support for native inter-library
dependencies on the various platforms should be verified before a
project such as this one can use libtool.

[...]

> 						- Ted

Nico