Re: FYI & question: Linux-PAM modules on Solaris

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:36:43PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 08:32:17PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I found the recent libtool discussion on the samba-technical mailing
> > list very enlightening with regards to libtool's strengths and
> > weaknesses.  And I really think there are a lot of weaknesses still
> > that need to be ironed out before I can endorse its use for
> > Linux-PAM.
>
> I'm not a libtool expert, but I'm told that it doesn't really handle
> library dependencies correctly.  (i.e., adding explicit dependencies
> in a library so that when you dynamically link with the library, other
> libraries which are needed are automatically pulled in).

Another problem with libtool, related to the above, is the handling of
RPATH (needed when libraries are installed in non-standard
places). Current versions of libtool incorrectly propagate the -R or
-rpath options of ld into the RPATH ELF header, resulting in a library
that -- while it has the correct NEEDED entries to refer to other
libraries -- can't find them at runtime.

Since Linux-PAM's modules directory typically is not the in the
system-wide search path of the dynamic linker, this might affect us,
too.

--
	Ingo Luetkebohle / ingo@blank.pages.de / 95428014
/