problems with pam

Hi out there,

i had some problems with installation linux mandrake on a 486sx machine
for routing purposes. So i decided mysel to compile a kernel and
configure a small system myself.

So up to know i get to login, but this is what iīm getting then:
PAM-warn[15]: service: login [on terminal tty1]
PAM-warn[15]: user (uid=0) -> admin [remote: ?nobody@?nowhere]

my login in pam.d is configured like this

auth     required       /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account  required       /lib/security/pam_warn.so
account  required       /lib/security/pam_unix.so
password required       /lib/security/pam_warn.so
password required       /lib/security/pam_unix.so  use_first_pass
use_authtok
session  required       /lib/security/pam_warn.so
session  required       /lib/security/pam_unix.so

The system doesnīt get the uid correctly and I wonder if this is a
problem of problem

the etc/passwd exists with the correct entry.

Before i tried a configuration in pam.conf
OTHER   auth       optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
OTHER   account    optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
OTHER   password   optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
OTHER   session    optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so

And the result was (after typing in the correct login-name):
admin (although in passwd) doesnt work at all
root (works) im getting logged in

but then a
message
id: not found

I get into the system, but i canīt do things like lilo. Also when
choosing root as login name (entry in passwd is correct).

In my opinion, there isnīt a real lookup in passwd.
Who can help? Iīm nearly biting into my desk!!!!

Hereīs the passwd file:
root:Npge08pfz4wuk:0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
admin:Npge08pfz4wuk:1:1:admin:/:/bin/sh

Is this a problem of pam or could it be NSS?

THX a lot for your help

Jochen

 -
www.steptown.com