Re: Shadow PAM troubles

Thanks so much for your response and the patch!

Funny thing.  I applied the patch and recompiled PAM,
then I recompiled shadow, but it still failed unable to
find "-lpam".  I looked at libpam*.so and they were all
symlinks to nonexistant libpam*.so.0, so I remade the
symlinks to libpam*.so.0.75 .  Then shadow compiled
just fine and reported the proper libraries with "ldd
/bin/login".

However, then login is broken and fails with "login:
PAM Failure, aborting: Critical error - immediate
abort".  Well at least I know its going through PAM
now.  Passwd and su work just fine.

Any further help anyone can give this poor helpless
leech is greatly appreciated.

My /etc/pam.d/shadow file is the default that comes
with shadow:

auth		sufficient	pam_rootok.so
account		required	pam_permit.so
password	required	pam_make.so /var/db

The only clue I have is that /var/db doesn't exist.
What is it?