Shadow PAM troubles

Hey there,

I'm trying to set up PAM and am having a bit of trouble.  I'm working
on a 2.4.4 kernel, Glibc 2.2, GCC 2.95.3, this is an LFS (Linux From
Scratch) system so everything is done from source.  At any rate, to
start with, I'm just trying to get the shadow suite to operate through
PAM but either I cannot get it working, or cannot determine that it is
working.

I have successfully compiled and installed Linux-PAM-0.75, and then
successfully recompiled and reinstalled shadow-20001016 with the
additional --with-libpam configure argument.  I have run ldconfig
every step of the way JIC.  But ldd /bin/{login,passwd} still does not
report any of the PAM libraries.  I have also verified by way of the
mod dates that my shadow reinstall is overwriting the previous
versions.  I have also tried replacing the rules in the shadow suite supplied
/etc/pam.d/shadow file with a pam_warn.so rule to write something to
syslog.  No dice.

Any ideas?  Given the lack of errors, I'm sure I am just missing some
vital element.  Your help is greatly appreciated.