RE: username above 13 characters not accepted

Chris,

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Chris Siakos wrote:

> Versions:
> pam: 0.72
> pop3 server: spop3d

> So for usernames over 13 characters:
> spop against shadow passwords			WORKS
> spop against shadow passwords	(via PAM)	DOES NOT WORK
> proftp against shadow				WORKS
> proftp against shadow (via PAM)		DOES NOT WORK

> I am pretty confident that PAM is the problem.  Is there anyway to increase
> logging for PAM?  When PAM fails it fails abruptly, saying connection
> closed, it doesn't return any helpful messages.

> It may be meer coincidence but 13 can also be a crypted string.

> I appreciate your help.

Yes, this does seem to point the finger at PAM, but it's not a bug I can
reproduce on any of my (RedHat & Debian) systems.  Since it appears others
also can't reproduce the problem on SuSE, I'm not sure what to make of this.
Do you have any custom-compiled libraries on the system (such as glibc)?  Is
account information stored in /etc/passwd, or in another NSS backend?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer