RE: username above 13 characters not accepted

Hello Steve,

Versions:
pam: 0.72
pop3 server: spop3d

So for usernames over 13 characters:
spop against shadow passwords			WORKS
spop against shadow passwords	(via PAM)	DOES NOT WORK
proftp against shadow				WORKS
proftp against shadow (via PAM)		DOES NOT WORK

I am pretty confident that PAM is the problem.  Is there anyway to increase
logging for PAM?  When PAM fails it fails abruptly, saying connection
closed, it doesn't return any helpful messages.

It may be meer coincidence but 13 can also be a crypted string.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Chris