Re: Arguments from applications for modules

Hi Thorsten,

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> it is possible to write arguments for PAM modules into the
> /etc/pam.d/<config file>.

> Is there also a way to set such arguments from the application
> for the module ?
> What I need is: I call the application with an parameter and
> this option should be given through to the PAM module. But I
> didn't find an easy solution/interface for this. Is there one ?

It seems to me that this would be in conflict of making PAM completely
'pluggable'.  If you are an application writer, how do you know what modules
will be called, not to mention what arguments you should pass them?

One way comes to mind to do this; you could use pam_putenv() and pam_getenv()
to pass tokens between the application and the modules.  I just wonder if
there might not be a better way to accomplish your goal.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer