pam_cracklib/multiple stack passes?

I recall reading in some mailing list archive that in the password stack,
pam_cracklib doesn't behave quite like normal modules.  Unfortunately, I
can't find the old message.  The difference, as I recall, has something
to do with the fact that pam_cracklib is "called" (correct term?) on
a "second pass" of some sort, only after another module has asked for the
existing password.

This seems to be confirmed by my experimentation because pam_cracklib is
at the top of my password stack, yet the other modules first prompt for
existing password.  In order to get everything to work as desired, I give
my other password modules a use_authtok flag.  Then, the sequence is
(paraphrased, sorry it's not in front of me right now) as follows:

enter current <some_module> password:  // a module UNDER pam_cracklib
enter UNIX password: // this is pam_cracklib
re-enter UNIX password: // pam_cracklib again
passwords updated successfully.  // presumably, the first module updates
here

Without use_authtok flags, my other modules re-prompt after the
pam_cracklib prompts.

Is my understanding of what is happening correct?  Can I get pam_cracklib
to initially prompt for the existing password?  What's the sequence
of "passes" and when do authtoks get created/passed?  Is there somewhere
that I can read documentation so that I don't have to bother the list?

--
Steve
"Social engineering will get you what you want..." - Barcelona