Re: PAM authentication failing from SASL/smtpd

Sorry to be so quick on the draw, the only problem was permission to access the
shadow file, now it works fine.    Which leads to the other problem which I haven't
found a clean solution for yet:   How to authenticate from a daemon which is not
running as (suid) root?    Every daemon on my machine which does PAM runs as root,
and every utility is suid root.     I'd like to keep the SMTP daemon running as a
non-root user, so here's the solutions I can think of:

- allow read access to /etc/shadow by a new group of non-root PAM users (this is
		what I've done for now)
- chroot the mail server, and run the SMTP portion as root, trusting the jail's walls

Neither one seems great to me, comments?

Thanks!  		--joseph sheedy