pam_set_item(pam_handle,PAM_TTY,"/dev/tty1")?

I have been bitten by differences in PAM implementation and documention,
spesifically with RedHats /bin/login from util-linux-2.10f and
pam_console.

In the pam documentation it is said:

<CLIP>
PAM_TTY

The terminal name: prefixed by /dev/ if it is a device file; for
graphical, X-based, applications the value for this item should be the
$DISPLAY variable.
</CLIP>

However, RedHats /bin/login and pam_console hack _remove_ the /dev/ from
tty device file names. My own application which followed the documentation
did not work with pam_console.

Which one is correct, RedHat implementation or pam documentation? And if
RH is in error, will it ever be fixed?

- Jani