Telnetd and PAM

I've been thinking about modifying telnetd to use PAM to control which
authentication methods telnetd should offer the client.  This is to get
around the fact that the telnet protocol says that the server supplies the
list, but the client gets to choose one from the list.  I'm also thinking
about doing the same for FTP.

Example:
	auth	required		/lib/security/pam_telnetd_auth.so
choices=srp,krb5,none
	auth	sufficient	/lib/security/pam_telnetd_auth.so
used=srp,krb5
	auth	required		/lib/security/pam_unix.so ...

Can anyone see problems in what I would like to do?
--
Scott Nelson