weird su problems

Hi All,

First of all, if this is a very dumb or obvious question, I apologize...I'm
new to Linux and have been fighting this for too long not to ask for help!

I have a user that I cannot 'su' to, except as root.  Even as root, once I
su to that user, I cannot su to myself from it.  I keep getting "incorrect
password".

1. As root, I have changed the password to ensure that I have the correct
password
2. As the user (after su'ing from root) I have changed the password to make
sure I have the correct password.
3.  I have tried passwd -u to unlock the account iff it was locked.
4.  /etc/pam.d/login line reads: "account    required
/lib/security/pam_tally.so no_magic_root deny=5 per_user reset"
5. /var/log/messages reads:  admin pam_tally[5310]: user tomcat1 (208)
tally 73, deny 5
(you can see i've tried this a number of times)
6.  I've created a new user, copied all the files over from the offensive
account, and have no problems with su.
7. i'm stumped..any ideas anyone ?

this system is running: Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
Kernel 2.2.16-3.c4eb on an i686

sheila monheit
  monheit@us.ibm.com
   (408) 358 - 9591