login failure (no password prompt)

Hello,

"login" is returning "Login incorrect" when I try to login as root with
the boot and root disk set that I've created. It never prompts for a
password either.

I followed the instructions detailed in the Bootdisk-HOWTO to create a
2-disk boot+root set. I created an /etc/passwd file with one "root"
entry that has:
root::0::root:/:/bin/ash

I also modified /etc/pam.d/passwd and /etc/pam.d/login to reference
pam_permit.so.

/etc/pam.d/{passwd,login} look identical like below:

OTHER   auth       optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
OTHER   account    optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
OTHER   password   optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
OTHER   session    optional     /lib/security/pam_permit.so

I've included pam_permit.so on the root file system as well as libpam.so
and libpam_misc.so. I've also included the other shared libraries that
"login" requires after referencing the output from ldd.

I've created the boot+root disk set from a working RedHat 6.1 system. It
uses PAM v0.68.

Any ideas or help would be great!

Thanks,
Nathan