Re: PAM on Linux...

Hello,

Many thanks for the follow up but I think I've fixed it, or at least have a
solution. The error return of 3 suggested that something bad was happening
inside the shared library. As a trial I tried giving PAM the terminal name
using pam_set_item(pamh,PAM_TTY,"/dev/tty0") and the problem went away and
the program worked as expected. I then tried setting the TTY to an empty
string pam_set_item(pamh,PAM_TTY,"") and my program still worked fine which
begs the question should PAM expect to have a TTY and is the shared library
walking off the end of a pointer if not supplied with one. I see no reason
to have to supply a TTY name but I may be wrong ?

Martin
"Andrew Morgan" <morgan@transmeta.com> wrote in message
3A5F87B2.5309BE76@transmeta.com">news:3A5F87B2.5309BE76@transmeta.com...
> Martin Waller wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to write a small program that uses PAM to authenticate a user
> > given a username and password. The program I have uses pam_start and
> > pam_authenticate. What I'm finding on Linux is that pam_authenticate
calls
> > the conversation routine once for the password and always returns PAM
error
> > code 3. The same program works fine on a Sun machine and fine on an
HP-UX