Re: Home dir settings

Steve Langasek wrote:

>:)  This fact probably ought to be in a PAM FAQ, plastered on all the
> documentation that ships with Linux-PAM, and in the banner when you subscribe
> to the mailing list. ;)

Well yes. Scanning the list archives (the RH link just
dies for me, some strange self-signed cert prevents me
from even getting there) without some clue or keywords
is next to useless. In case others stumble across these
messages then here are some links of interest...

http://www.rz.uni-augsburg.de/~zahn/pam_nss_dce/
http://klug.armintl.com/presentations/20000328/img0.htm

> NSS + Solaris, NSS + glibc.  It's an API that allows for multiple backends to
> the standard Unix getXXbyXX functions, used to retrieve things like user
> password entries, hostnames, etc.  I don't know how widely supported NSS is,
> actually, but it's part of the C library on both Solaris and Linux.

Sorry to belabour the point... but how on earth do the
people who use ldap provide home directory information ?
Surely they do not keep a password file around just to
provide homedir and uid/gid info ?

Got any more of those juicy keywords to search on ? :-)

--markc