pam_smb and UW-IMAP

Hi-
  I recently upgraded (downgraded?) from RH6.2 to RH7 and have had pretty
much nothing but problems with it. PAM just seems to be broken or have
changed in some poorly-documented way.
  I have system users mapped to users on the PDC via matching usernames. I
then passwd -d the username to remove the password on the Linux box (I have
also tried manually adding stars to the passwd/shadow files as apropos), and
have my pam.d files like this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth    required        /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so debug
account required        /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=file-auth

And pam_stack file-auth as:
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account     required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

  I have tried various iterations of account using pam_unix, pam_pwdb, and
others, all to no avail. I have also tried not using pam_stack and including
pam_unix or pam_pwdb directly in the imap file. Either the users can get in
without any password, which scares the hell out of me, or they can't get in
at all, which is likewise frightening.
  Any ideas?