Re: [Fwd: Inclusion of a new PAM module in ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > I have created a new PAM module (pam_mount, it can be used to dynamic
> > mounting of remote SMB/NCP volumes for a user session).
>
> Isn't that why we have autofs?

AFAIK, autofs (with no external help) has no access to the user's password
or other credentials used to establish the session, and cannot use them to
mount the remote fs.

Moreover, pam_mount can assure...to some level...the remote fs is
available during interactive sessions only. This is a somewhat
questionable feature but it can increase the system's resistance
against attacks.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."