Re: XSSO? How to communicate to XSSO/PAM external authentication info?

Thank you for your response.

This relates to the other recent threads here (PAM and Kerberos, and the
thread about pam_acct_mgmt()).

Think of a kerberized, PAMified telnetd. With such applications
authentication may happen outside the PAM framework, but information
about the way the user was authenticated might still be useful in
account management.

Wouldn't it be useful if a PAM module could do the .k5login checks and
such things that MIT's telnetd and login.krb5 do without PAM?

Wouldn't it be useful to be able to set policies, via pam.conf, about
GSS-API/Kerberos/SRP/etc authentication where there is no password token
that PAM can validate?

After all, PAM does have an authorization component and I would like
kerberized services to use that.

I don't think it's enough to call pam_acct_mgmt() without calling
pam_authenticate() because there's useful data about the external
authentication mechanism that can be considered in authorization. For
example: Kerberos user principal names; quality of protection
negotiated for the session (e.g., session encryption).

Similarly with password expiration as PAM should have knowledge about
the source of the user's credentials in order to update them or even to
know that they must be changed! And then PAM must map the local username
to the user's principal name, something the application would already
know.

Now, I saw pictures (Figs. 4-5 and 4-6) in the XSSO documentation
showing how XSSO would be involved in accessing remote services. The
pictures show a client accessing a remote service and using GSS-API for
authenticating to the remote service; the remote service is then shown
using the XSSO layer.

One would wonder how the remote service would interact with XSSO, but
this is not described nor is there anything in XSSO which might help,
other than NOT using pam_authenticate(); one also wonders what use the
pam_[gs]et_mapped_*() calls are in such a scenario since there is no
easy way to inform XSSO of the parameters involved in the GSS-API
authentication of the client. Yes, I imagine the application could pass
such information via the PAM_RUSER item, but that approach seems
limiting.

Somebody had to be on that committee, and surely they can explain this.

My suggestion of a pam_gss_authenticated() call would give applications
a way to inform PAM of the relevant information about how the user was
authenticated. Alternatively there could be a set of new PAM items.

Nico