Re: pam_unix vs pam_pwdb

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 11:04:49AM -0500, Michael A. Dietz wrote:
> I have noticed in my redhat 6.2 config that some pam config files in
> /etc/pam.d reference pam_unix and others pam_pwdb.  I can't seem to find
> any documentation that makes a distinction between the two.  They both
> seem to do the same thing with the exception that pam_unix has a few more
> features.
>
> Are pam_unix and pam_pwdb basically the same ?  If not is one
> always prefered over the other, or are there situations in which each one
> does a better job ?  Can you give me an example ?

Use pam_unix.  There was a time when pam_pwdb provide more features and
worked better in many cases, but pam_unix was rewritten some time ago
and is now a much better choice.

> Lastly, per the previous post regarding pam_stack.so, it is included on my
> redhat 6.2 system with updated rpm pam-0.72.

For the errata release, I just built what we had in the tree.  There
are a couple of problems with that version of pam_stack that have
since been fixed, but we haven't issued an update for it since I didn't
expect anyone to use it (it's certainly not used by default on 6.2).

Nalin