pam_sm_authenticate error code

Hi ,

    what should be the error code that need to be returned by
    pam_sm_authenticate() when the user's account is expired.
    Should it return PAM_SUCCESS or PAM_ACCT_EXPIRED.
    What I think is it shouldn't return PAM_ACCT_EXPIRED as
    its pam_acct_mgmt() job to return this error.
     Please clear my doubt , thanks in advance for all the help.

Thanks
Bandi