OpenSSH gives a pam NULL in the secure logs

--=-q8Nk4T5xGoYR8UZxSKbD

The Illegal user comes from openssh not finding the user in the local
file database (/etc/passwd).=20

To see what is going on with openssh, you should stop sshd and run it on
the command line as root with 'sshd -ddd' and then try to connect that
way. You will be able to see what sshd is trying to do on the server
side.

Don't worry about the first try by sshd to authenticate, it is always
none and will fail (it should from what I remember).

l8r,

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 18:20, Alan Womack wrote:
> I've been fighting a authentication issue with a user I added that can lo=
g in at the console but not over ssh.
>=20
> To diagnose the problem I removed all authentication from Redhat 7.2 to b=
e done by
>=20
> pam_permit.so
>=20
> If I try to log in with ssh I get an illegal user error in the /var/log/s=
ecure log and a notice that a null pointer was returned to pam.
>=20
> I found a couple of messages via google that mentioned a SSH bug, but the=
ir circumstances to create it are quite different than mine.  Will try to u=
pgrade ssh this evening, but does anyone else know where a NULL or Illegal =
User can come from?