OpenSSH gives a pam NULL in the secure logs

I've been fighting a authentication issue with a user I added that can log in at the console but not over ssh.

To diagnose the problem I removed all authentication from Redhat 7.2 to be done by

pam_permit.so

If I try to log in with ssh I get an illegal user error in the /var/log/secure log and a notice that a null pointer was returned to pam.

I found a couple of messages via google that mentioned a SSH bug, but their circumstances to create it are quite different than mine.  Will try to upgrade ssh this evening, but does anyone else know where a NULL or Illegal User can come from?

Alan