pam_tally problems

I have installed Redhat Linux 7.3 on a Sony laptop. I want to be able to
stop logins after a certain number of failed attempts. I have edited the
/etc/pam.d/login file and added an auth and account line for pam_tally.

auth required /lib/security/pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog
account required /lib/security/pam_tally.so ffile=/var/log/faillog deny=2

I have also tryed the no_reset, no_lock_time and per_user options for the
account entry.

It works except for the updating of the count in the faillog file. The line
and time are modified after each failed login but the count does not change.
If I manually chage the count (using pam_tally) to a value above the deny
value then the login is denied.

Why is the count in the faillog file not updated after each failed login.

Thanks
Bob