Valhalla/7.3 rsh denied access

I'm at a total loss. Never had this problem in pre 7.3,
Solaris and my few BSD boxen.

I figure I'm doing something really stupid.

So .. I hope someone can help.

I now have 3 RedHat 7.3 boxes, all behave the same way,
and the Valhalla list has send me here.

Anyway here is what I have for files/setting

My 'test' command is

[blatz@us-pelican blatz]$ rsh us-pelican date
Permission denied.
[blatz@us-pelican blatz]$

For testing I'm doing both the request and destination
on the same host.

/etc/securetty
  added;
    rsh
    pts/0
    pts/1
    pts/19

/home/blatz/.rhost (blatz is my test user) mode 600 owner blatz,
also tried mode 644 owner blatz
  + +

/root/.rhost (just for testing) mode 600
  + +

/etc/host.conf
  hosts,bind

/etc/hosts (for 'real' environment with different hosts)
  both systems are in /etc/hosts, and also resolve via dns.

dns test
  both systems resolve correctly both forward and reverse
  (name -> ip) and reverse (ip -> name)

/etc/xinetd.d/rsh (restart xinetd)
  disable = no

/etc/hosts.allow
  ALL:ALL

/etc/hosts.deny
  null (empty)

/etc/hosts.equiv
  + + (wide open for testing)

/etc/pam.d/rsh (for testing)
  auth    sufficient        /lib/security/pam_permit.so
  #auth       required    /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
  #auth       required    /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
  #auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
  #auth       required     /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
  #account    required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
  #session    required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth