Newbie question, creating new account and password

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 01:07, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> * It requires all sorts of shell escaping for input (since it takes the
> username on the command line),
> * You can't set the initial password,
> * You have to parse stderr in order to get error feedback.
>
> I tend to agree with John.  It would be worthwhile if there was a
> programmatic interface to useradd, perhaps as a library.  The useradd
> binary could be just a wrapper to the library.
What about Redhats libuser ?
Name        : libuser                      Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 0.50.2                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Tue 16 Apr 2002
10:58:20 PM CEST
Install date: Fri 10 May 2002 07:48:31 PM CEST      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
libuser-0.50.2-1.src.rpm
Size        : 847365                           License: LGPL
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A user and group account administration library.
Description :
The libuser library implements a standardized interface for manipulating
and administering user and group accounts. The library uses pluggable
back-ends to interface to its data sources.

Sample applications modeled after those included with the shadow
password suite are included.

There are currently a backend for ldap,files,shadow..
--
Nils Olav Selåsdal <NOS@Utel.no>
System Developer, UtelSystems a/s