Newbie question, creating new account and password

On 11 Jul 2002, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> * It requires all sorts of shell escaping for input (since it takes the
> username on the command line),
> * You can't set the initial password,
> * You have to parse stderr in order to get error feedback.
>
> I tend to agree with John.  It would be worthwhile if there was a
> programmatic interface to useradd, perhaps as a library.  The useradd
> binary could be just a wrapper to the library.
>
> -Devin

perhaps i'm totally misunderstanding the question, but it's dead easy to
create and configure a new account with useradd.

# useradd <username>

# passwd -d <username>		# remove the lock on that account (has no
				  password now)

# echo "ozzy" | passwd --stdin <username>	# assign a new password if
						  you want

  and what else was necessary?

rday