Newbie question, creating new account and password

PAM is basically authentication only as far as my understanding.  libpwdb
has the potential to be used in this fashion, but it doesn't currently
support the ability to create new accounts only to modify them.  I
submitted a huge patch to one of the previous maintainers a while back,
but didn't here anything back so I don't know if it was even considered.
I broke it all up into much smaller patches a while ago, but never got
around to submitting them.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Pat