Newbie question, creating new account and password

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:42:09PM -0500, John H. Clark, III wrote:

> Plenty of information on changing account information but I need to
> create new linux accounts under program control.

At least under Debian, the combination of /usr/sbin/adduser,
/etc/adduser.conf, and /usr/local/sbin/adduser.local give us pretty
much automatic account creation.

We run a script that calls adduser with a few non-default arguments,
and then adduser.local (which adduser automatically calls if it
exists):

- fingers a central campus computer to determine if the new account is
  a student or faculty/staff

- adds the new user to the appropriate student or faculty/staff
  mailing list

- scrapes the user's real name from central finger information to
  generate the GECOS field

- adds a volume for the new user into our tape backup scheme

and all we have to do is 'adduserscriptname newusername'.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu