OpenSSH and PAM

--=-AmU2iuvFT8S4xysOY3+A

I've had a problem for over a month now with password expiry and cleared
password functions not working correctly on a Solaris 7 box specific to
openssh and PAM. I compiled openssh with pam functionality in hopes of
supporting both expiry and cleared passwords. This was not a problem
until recently as we switched all clients from telnet to ssh. Here are
my sshd entries in /etc/pam.conf:
    $ fgrep sshd /etc/pam.conf=20
    sshd    auth required   	/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
    sshd    account required        /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
    sshd    session required        /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
    sshd    password required       /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

Cleared passwords prompt for a password and exit after 3 failed
attempts. Expiring a passwd -- $ passwd -f <userid> -- prompts for the
old password, then asks for the new password and fails:
    $ ssh user@foo
    user@foo's password:=20
    Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now
    Enter login password:=20
    sshd(SYSTEM): Sorry, wrong passwd
    Connection to foo closed by remote host.
    Connection to foo closed.

If I set "PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt" to "yes" in my sshd_config, then I
receive the following messages:
    $ ssh user@foo
    Password:=20
    Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now
    Enter login password:=20
    sshd(SYSTEM): Sorry, wrong passwd
    removing root credentials would break the rpc services that
    use secure rpc on this host!
    root may use keylogout -f to do this (at your own risk)!
    Connection to foo closed by remote host.
    Connection to foo closed.

I receive the following message in my logs in relation to attempts at
changing expired passwords:
    Jul 10 10:48:12 foo sshd[27005]: [ID 800047 auth.crit] fatal: PAM
    pam_chauthtok failed[7]: Permission denied
    Jul 10 10:48:49 foo sshd[26997]: [ID 800047 auth.crit] fatal: PAM
    pam_chauthtok failed[20]: Authentication token manipulation error
    Jul 10 10:48:53 foo sshd[27011]: [ID 800047 auth.crit] fatal: PAM
    pam_chauthtok failed[-1]: Unknown error
    Jul 10 10:53:16 foo sshd[27102]: [ID 800047 auth.crit] fatal: PAM
    pam_chauthtok failed[7]: Permission denied
   =20
I am running OpenSSH 3.1p1. I did read that the new version of ssh will
break PAM if "UsePrivilegeSeparation" is set to "yes" in the
sshd_config, but I don't think that is relevant to the version I am
running. Are there other pam modules that work with the Sun
implementation of PAM that may solve my problems?
Thanks for any input.
--=20
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator