Re: OpenSSL Mailing Lists Are Moving to Google Groups

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 06:15:56AM -0600, The Doctor via openssl-users wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 06:57:01PM +0200, Dmitry Misharov wrote:
> > We are announcing a change in how communication and collaboration will take
> > place within
> > the OpenSSL community. Effective August 1st, 2024, the OpenSSL mailing
> > lists will migrate
> > to Google Groups. This transition is designed to streamline communication
> > channels and
> > simplify our infrastructure.
> >
> > ## Why the change?
> >
> > Over the years, the combination of Postfix and Mailman has served us well,
> > but it's time to move on
> > and explore better options. Google Groups offers several advantages that
> > align with our goals:
> >
> > * **Enhanced Collaboration**: in addition to email Google Groups provides a
> > modern interface and a
> >   more intuitive user experience, making it easier for community members to
> > engage in discussions,
> >   share ideas, and contribute to ongoing projects.
> >
> > * **Simplified Management**: by migrating to Google Groups, we can reduce
> > the administrative
> >   overhead associated with maintaining our mailing list infrastructure.
> > This allows our team to
> >   focus more on developing and improving the OpenSSL library.
> >
> > * **Improved Accessibility**: Google Groups offers robust search
> > capabilities, better spam
> >   protection, and easy access to archives, ensuring that valuable
> > information is readily available
> >   and easily searchable.
> >
> > ## What you need to know
> >
> > The official migration will take place on **August 1st, 2024**. After this
> > date, the MTA hostname
> > will take place in Google Groups. The mailing lists archives
> > on https://mta.openssl.org will be preserved and stay online but will not be
> > updated.
> >
> > Current subscribers to our mailing lists will be automatically migrated to
> > the new Google Groups.
> > You will receive an invitation to join the respective Google Group(s)
> > corresponding to your existing
> > subscriptions.
> >
> > You do not have to have a Google account to interact with Google Groups.
> > You can
> > subscribe and unsubscribe purely via email from any address.
> >
> > ## Looking ahead
> >
> > This migration marks a positive step forward in enhancing our community
> > engagement and
> > support. Thank you for your continued support and contributions to the
> > OpenSSL project.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > The OpenSSL Team
>

> Please have a look at
>
> https://www.nk.ca/blog/index.php?/categories/14-Google-Spam
>
> Google Groups and Gmail seems to be a source of spam
> and even if you use
>

> https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse?hl=en
>
> for complaints,
>
> you never hear back from Google about if they have dealt with
> [...]

Further

From

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638421342749746594-1077126308&p=usenet&rd=1&pli=1

The statement

Why is Google Groups support for Usenet ending?

Over the last several years, legitimate activity in text-based Usenet groups has declined significantly because users have moved to more modern technologies and formats such as social media and web-based forums. Much of the content being disseminated via Usenet today is binary (non-text) file sharing, which Google Groups does not support, as well as spam.

Is very deceiving.

The real reason was trolls were overwhelming the usenet portion of
Google Groups and hence their decision , because in their flawed
large scale model, everyone was been let in
and no security check and balance was being performed.

Google Groups and Google Gmail
are targets for spammers and trolls and should
never be given a consideration.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@xxxxx Ici doctor@xxxxx
Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism ;