Re: Adding an LLVM Optimization Pass while Building openSSL Using Clang

Thanks Matt! That worked for me, I ended up using a Python script instead though.

Ange

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 1:57 AM Matt Caswell <matt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[External Email - Use caution]

On 02/04/2024 03:11, Ange-Thierry Ishimwe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently working on building OpenSSL for RISC-V architecture using
> clang/llvm. While I've successfully compiled OpenSSL and generated a
> binary using the linux64-riscv64 configuration, I would like to
> integrate an LLVM optimization pass into the compilation process before
> the object files are created.
>
> *_Traditionally, the OpenSSL process follows the pattern:_*
> clang [source file] -o [obj file]
>
> *_However, my objective is to introduce an additional step in the
> process, as follows:
> _clang *[source file] -o [LLVM IR File]
> *opt *[LLVM IR File] -o [OPTIMIZED LLVM IR File]
> *clang *[OPTIMIZED LLVM IR File] -o [obj file]
>
> Basically, I want to create intermediate representations (IR), apply a
> custom optimization pass on them, and subsequently produce an object
> file on all the source files.
>
> Could I please get some guidance or point me in the right direction on
> how to achieve this within the OpenSSL build process?
>
> Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I've not tried this, but my immediate thought would be to wrap the 3
step process up in a shell script and then use your shell script as the
"compiler", e.g.

CC=myscript.sh ./config ...

Matt