Re: Adding an LLVM Optimization Pass while Building openSSL Using Clang

On 02/04/2024 03:11, Ange-Thierry Ishimwe wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently working on building OpenSSL for RISC-V architecture using clang/llvm. While I've successfully compiled OpenSSL and generated a binary using the linux64-riscv64 configuration, I would like to integrate an LLVM optimization pass into the compilation process before the object files are created.

*_Traditionally, the OpenSSL process follows the pattern:_*
clang [source file] -o [obj file]

*_However, my objective is to introduce an additional step in the process, as follows:
_clang *[source file] -o [LLVM IR File]
*opt *[LLVM IR File] -o [OPTIMIZED LLVM IR File]
*clang *[OPTIMIZED LLVM IR File] -o [obj file]

Basically, I want to create intermediate representations (IR), apply a custom optimization pass on them, and subsequently produce an object file on all the source files.

Could I please get some guidance or point me in the right direction on how to achieve this within the OpenSSL build process?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I've not tried this, but my immediate thought would be to wrap the 3 step process up in a shell script and then use your shell script as the "compiler", e.g.

CC=myscript.sh ./config ...

Matt