Validating Client Certificates

I am developing an application that clients will access.  I don't want to use passwords as the users have shown a propensity to use easily guessed passwords etc.  I am trying to use client certificates.  I have setup a local CA that is used to generate the client certificates.  The user's identity is entered into the subject CN.

My client certificates are properly accepted.  However, I am unable to tell just what SSL_accept validates.  I have not been able to find any documentation on what it actually checks.  My testing shows that the client certificate must be signed by a known root certificate, but does SSL_accept verify that the signing certificate is the one indicated in the client certificate, and how does it check that?  In my server, I am checking the certificate serial number.  Is that necessary and sufficient to ensure that the certificate is the one I generated and not a fake?

 It seems that it might be possible to create a CA that is certified by one of the known root certificates and use it to generate a client certificate with the identical issuer information.  Obtaining the proper issuer serial number would take some work, but I suspect it is possible.  The rest of that information is trivial.  Thanks,

-- Doug