OpenSSL s_server command prompts for password even when we provide it in the command in OpenSSL 3.1 versions

 Hi OpenSSL team,

      Hope You are having a very great day 🙂

This mail is regarding an issue which we are facing with the s_server command in OpenSSL 3.1.* (we’re not seeing this in older versions like 1.0.2 or 1.1.1k).  Please refer to the attached snapshot.

In the command we have used -pass pass:password, which is one of the mentioned ways to provide the server certificate password according to the OpenSSL documentation, still it’s prompting for a password as input from the user.

It works and returns ACCEPT even on pressing Enter key without providing any password which means it’s taking the password that is provided in the command line using -pass option.

The same s_server command works fine with previous OpenSSL versions and does not prompt for a password after being provided in the command itself.

We tried different ways to suppress this prompt asking for password but nothing worked, we have an automated use case testing client server handshake where we are facing this issue.

Looking ahead for suggestions or any changes helping with this issue.

Regards,

Ishani