Re: Which properties of the compiled binary can I modify?

On 20/10/2023 12:33, Tobias Lorek via openssl-users wrote:
Hi,

I am handling a project which compiles OpenSSL from source and distributes the resulting DLL as part of our product. Since we are distributing the product we are interested in changing some of the file properties on the DLL, and I would like to know if the OpenSSL project is ok with any, and if so which, of the following changes:

  * *CompanyName*

The CompanyName property is not used at the moment. Is it acceptable that we add ABB?

  * *LegalCopyright*

Is it acceptable that we set our own LegalCopyright value?

  * *Signature*

Is it acceptable that we sign the binaries with our own certificates?

You must adhere to the terms of the licence. You don't say which version of OpenSSL you are using (different licences apply depending on the version). Assuming you are on 3.0+ then Apache v2 applies:

https://www.openssl.org/source/apache-license-2.0.txt

You must adhere to all the terms, but I draw your particular attention to section 4 (redistribution) which seems relevant here.

You must also be sure to adhere to our trademark policy. You can read that here:

https://www.openssl.org/policies/general/TrademarkPolicy.html

As long as you are doing all of those things then you can make any changes you like. I can't give you advice on what specific changes would comply or not comply with the licence - you must make that determination yourself. You might want to engage a lawyer to help you.

Matt