Re: Problems with OpenSSL and local database connectivity

On 10.10.23 22:16, openssl-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxx digested:
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:16:10 -0600
From: Patrick Headley <pheadley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I [...]  configured a couple OpenSSL connections using the network
settings utility provided by Gnome. It used to be that any time the VPN was connected all local network resources were unavailable. That seems to have improved to where everything is available except for local database connections. If the VPN connection is closed and then opened again the local database connections may be available.

I perform database support so it would be nice if I could connect to local databases while connected to a client through their VPN host. Hopeing this is an issue that can be resolved.

(Bare) OpenSSL doesn't *do* VPNs, nor (AFAIK) connections that a host's "network setup" would be interested in. Are you running a) Open*VPN* (the protocol), by chance, or even more specifically b) OpenVPN (the software / client)?

In case of b), the server can insist that the VPN be "captive" (i.e., absorb *all* traffic except the communication with your client's default gateway). You'll have to talk to the server admin, "Client Configuration Directory (CCD)" might be a relevant keyword.

In case of a), client-side settings *might* be able to override the settings the server tries to push. (The OpenVPN plugin of NetworkManager comes to mind.)

Neither would, however, explain why *only* your DBs remain unreachable *unless* the connection to them uses different *IP addresses* than the rest (as opposed to just different ports) ...

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur